Open call: Solutions for community life in Košice
Improve urban services and the quality of life of the inhabitants of Košice
The City of Košice, in cooperation with the non-profit organization Creative Industry Košice, is announcing an open call for a hackathon within the innovative programs of the Košice 2.0 project. City Hacks are designed to improve city services and the quality of life of the inhabitants of Košice.
Hackathon provides the opportunity to create innovative solutions that could shape the future of Košice. We realize that technology alone cannot solve all the urban development challenges. Still, we hope that City Hacks will bring solutions that will motivate residents to become active participants in change.
Challenge: Solutions for community life in Košice
Community life and activities are one of the main pillars of social life in the city. What unites people into a group or a community are primarily common values, interests, or goals. But how to proceed? How do I know what communities exist in my city? How can I support them and get involved in their development? These and many other questions are asked by many active people and perhaps those who get bored from time to time. How can the city support the foundation, functioning, and development of these informal groups?
The goal of our challenge is to come up with solutions (digital or non-digital) for the micro-communities in the city of Košice. The solution that emerged during the hackathon should divide the primary issues:
- how to support the civic participation in Košice,
- how to help active citizens find space to be creative,
- how to support the emergence of new micro-communities (instructions and tips),
- how to present already existing communities and their activities,
- how to guide micro-communities in the right direction and develop them,
- how to enable and support their interconnection,
- how to promote knowledge sharing.
Projects that arise during a hackathon should be feasible, implementable, and sustainable.
Terms of registration
The following can apply:
- teams (preferred)
We will then try to place individuals in specific teams during the event. The recommended maximum number of members in one team is 6 people. Participation in the event is free.
If a team registers for the hackathon, it appoints one person at the registration – a representative who fills in the registration form on behalf of the team and will represent it throughout the event. This person is obliged to state the names of all team members in the registration form.
Join if you are from the following areas:
- Computer programmer
- UX/UI designer
- Data analyst
- Creative/idea maker
- City planner/urbanist
- Representative or member of the community
- Anyone interested in the topic of community life
Evaluation and criteria
The solutions will be evaluated by a jury selected based on their professional experience. Projects will be evaluated according to the following criteria and at the discretion of the jury:
- 40% potential impact on communities
- 30% complexity and technological implementation (reflects how the team applied the proposed solution and evaluates the complexity of the idea – its feasibility, implementability, and sustainability)
- 30% quality and relevance of the solution (relevance in the context of the challenge and the volume of work done during the hackathon)
The team that receives the highest overall score based on the valid evaluation criteria will be the winner and will receive a prize pool of 5,000 Euros.
The event follows current anti-pandemic measures.
The Hackathon takes place as part of the Košice 2.0 project and is co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund through the Urban Innovation Measures Initiative.
By registering for City Hacks, participants acknowledge that in the case of the winning team, which results in participation in the event is a copyrighted work under Act 185/2015 Coll., Copyright Act, each member of the winning team grants the event organizer (acquirer) an exclusive license by signing a license agreement announcement of the results of the expert jury.